I was reading one of my weekly gossip magazines, and came across a short little article on: 5 tricks to get more out of sales by style experts Janet Wood and Kathy McFadden. I am just going to summarize their top 5 things in making the best out of a sale.
1. List: Most of us find out about sales a few days in advance. In order to be best prepared, try and go through your wardrobe, get rid of things you don’t need or wear, and make a list of things that you actually NEED, not want. This will hopefully control your impulse purchases.
2. Plan Ahead: Most department stores mark down the garments that are going to be on sale the night before the sale. Try and wander into the store, 30-45 minutes before they are closing to scout out the goods. They probably won’t give you the discount that night, but at least you will know where to find the things you want. Try and get to the sale right when the store opens; you don’t want what you want to get to be gone!
3. Dress Comfortably With Class: I hate writing this, but sales people tend to give more help to those who are well put together. You don’t need to wear a cocktail dress to the sale, but look nice. You want to be wearing things that are easy to slip on and off because you will be trying on tons of fabulous things!
4. Have A Friend Tag Along: It is always more fun to go shopping with a friend. That way, you can have someone who is honest with you about whether something looks good or doesn’t. A sales clerk is going to tell you that you look good in anything, so they can make a sale. A friend will tell you what is reasonable, and what isn’t.
5. Get Things That Fit: People sometimes get too excited about sales. They tend to try so many different things on because the prices are marked down. They grab things that they may not even truly like, and things that aren’t the right size. Don’t buy anything that is too small for you. Don’t buy it to motivate you to lose those extra 5 pounds. Be reasonable, and buy things that fit you right then and there.
I hope this guide helps those impulse buyers! I even need to take some of these tips, to help me save my money! Try testing this guide out for the Nordstrom sale that is going on right now! Good luck with it, and happy savings!
And remember the inspiration of the day: “A woman is never sexier than when she is comfortable in her clothes.” – Vera Wang